Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Tomato Chicken Italiano*

Yea, I know, it's been a few days. Things have been pretty crazy at the homestead so I haven't been cooking. So much for this blog giving me quick ideas.
Seriously though, I treated the kids to McD's on Monday - the first time they've been there in well over a month. You should have seen the little peanut's excitement when we drove in the parking lot. So cute.
Yesterday the DH was home for the day so he made dinner.
And it's been busy at work so I haven't had time to add any tried and true recipes. But I'm back! And today, we're talking Chicken.

The ingredient list:
* 3 tablespoons flour
* 1/2 teaspoon salt
* 1/4 teaspoon pepper
* 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts
* 2 tablespoons olive oil
* 2 garlic cloves, pressed (or, what I do, sprinkle in some garlic powder. I never buy cloves. Just make sure you don't get carried away)
* 1 cup cubed zucchini (about one small to medium zucchini)
* 1 cup red bell pepper chunks (about one medium pepper)
*2 teaspoons dried basil
*1 can (14 1/2 ounce) diced tomatoes with Italian-style herbs

With the zucchini and bell pepper this is a great recipe for late summer when the garden's in full swing. If you have one. I never do, but my parents do, and I get the overflow. Because you know there's always too much zucchini.

Anyway, once you get all your ingredients together, here is what you do with them:

In a bowl, combine the flour, salt, and black pepper. Dredge the chicken in the flour mixture (shake off excess). Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a frying pan over medium heat. Add chicken and cook, turning once, until golden brown. That'll take about 10 minutes. I always cook my chicken a little longer though, just because I'm terrified of biting into raw chicken.
Add the other 1 tablespoon oil and the garlic to the pan. Cook, stirring constantly, until fragrant - about 30 seconds. Add zucchini, bell pepper and basil. Continue cooking and stirring for about 2 minutes, or when the vegetables are crisp-tender. Add tomatoes and stir. Return the chicken to the pan and cook until the chicken is no longer pink in center and the vegetables are tender, about 6 minutes. Serve hot with buttered egg noodles.

It's delicious. The DH wasn't sure, when he saw all those veggies in there, if he would like it, but was pleasantly surprised.

*because unlike the other recipes, I have not really made any changes to this one, I feel like I better give credit where credit is due. This recipe is originally from The Pampered Chef Busy Mom's Cookbook.

No comments: